- Originally written: October 14, 2017
Text & Images Updated: June 30, 2020
Are you the dullest person in the world?
Didn't think so.
Do you want to do business with the dullest people on the planet?
No. Neither do I.
So - add the odd twist, touch of humour, a small diversion or excursion to somewhere we didn't expect to go in your LinkedIn profile.
- Tell us that you learned Russian when you were 12, and once opened the fuselage door of a TU-154 in Saint Petersburg when the ground crew could not.
- You travelled at the age of 16 with an orchestra of teenagers as the orchestra manager and made a documentary with almost 500 slides and sound recordings of them doing gigs in front of ecstatic audiences in the Salone dei Cinquecento in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, and rounding off the Redentore Festival in Venice.
- Tell us that you once put in the two fastest laps of the day when racing against a professional go-kart driver - and that was with a brutal hangover.
- You once drove to Biarritz to "run-in" a Mazda MX-5, and played Chemical Brothers very loudly as you drove around the Arc d' Triomphe several times at midnight after dining with Samuel Beckett's publisher.
- That in 1994 you sold a painting for £1800 by a then largely unknown Russian artist to Peter Ustinov after an hour's swapping stories...
- and that you can teach anyone to Read Russian in 75 minutes.
These are all things you might not expect, but they are all true, and they are all true of me, David Petherick.
Add something unexpected to your profile. Add something that's not necessarily anything to do with business, but more to do with fun, a story, a wink and a smile.
- More Tips: 30 Top Tips for a better LinkedIn Profile – Rounded up and summarised…
- Found these tips useful? Why not thank me by buying me a beer?