- Originally written: October 9, 2017
Text & Images Updated: March 17, 2022
Do you want to make life easy for people, or difficult?
- If you want people to call you, show them your phone number.
- If you want people to email you, show them your email address.
- If you want people to visit your web site or Twitter, or landing page, show them the URL or add a media link.
You can do this in your 'Contact Info' section at the top of your profile, and also do this in your about section and, if you wish in your experience sections - not just tucked away in the place holders that LinkedIn provides.
I have my key contact information clearly visible in plain text in my summary and in my experience sections. I also use media links with clear calls to action so people can book calls to speak with me.
So you don't need to connect with me to contact me.
And guess what - people contact me. Which is what I want them to do. Easy.
Make things easy for yourself and for others.
- If you're worried about getting too much spam email, add your email in a way that means people have to do a little work to actually harvest the address - so form it as, say david[at]petherick[dot]org for example.
- You can also use a service like shortwhale.com so you don't need to share an email address, but people can still contact you easily and send you structured email messages, but they don't get to see your email address.
- If you're worried about getting inappropriate phone calls, use a forwarding number, or a diary appointment service like I do, or just don't bother adding a phone number. If inappropriate calls come, you can remove the number.
- If you have a terrible email address with hotmail or gmail, consider owning your own domain, so you set up a professional-looking email address.
- If you do this, you can also set up a LinkedIn-specific email address so that you can filter messages to it more effectively, such as firstname.lastname@example.org
- More Tips: 30 Top Tips for a better LinkedIn Profile – Rounded up and summarised…
- Found these tips useful? Why not thank me by buying me a drink?